Cabinets To Go: Dishonest and Totally Unprofessional

BUYER BEWARE!!!! Our Never-Ending Nightmare with Cabinets To Go

We placed a nearly $4,000 order with Cabinets To Go on 6/13/12. The standardized Cabinets To Go receipt and paperwork we received stated that we should expect 1-2 weeks for shipping. Carrie, the representative in the Raleigh, NC office that we worked with and ordered from, told us we should expect 10 days for shipping. The 1-2 week timeframe on the CTG paperwork would have placed our delivery somewhere between 6/20/12 and 6/27/12, and the 10-day estimate from Carrie would place our delivery date on 6/22/12. However, we have received no cabinets by 6/29/12. As soon as CTG received our payment (which was made in-full and immediately upon ordering on 6/13/12), all communication stopped completely. We were extremely satisfied with CTG's customer care during the designing and ordering process, and Carrie exchanged 35 emails and 5 phone calls with me over the 5 days that we spent considering our options and making our decisions. However, as soon as CTG got our money, customer care went out the window.

It is now 6/29/12 and we are still waiting for delivery of our nearly $4,000 order, which was paid for in-full and upfront. Furthermore, we received no communication from CTG in regard to tracking our $4,000 shipment, updates on delivery, or even scheduling a delivery until I started asking questions on 6/21/12 about where our cabinets were. We understand that CTG may not be able to pinpoint an exact delivery date immediately upon ordering. However, we never even got the opportunity to request an estimated delivery date during any conversation with CTG, because these delivery estimates were bestowed upon us and this topic of conversation was completely initiated by CTG! If you are going to give an estimate, it needs to be an accurate estimate. If something goes wrong during the processing and shipping of an order, the customer needs to be told, so as to adjust their expectation for delivery. We were never told that the delivery estimates provided by CTG needed to be adjusted due to processing or shipping problems, so we expected the estimates to hold true.

When we had received no cabinets by 6/21/12, I contacted Carrie in Raleigh to inquire about the status of our order because we had not received any correspondence from CTG during the 8 days that had passed since paying for our cabinets. Carrie responded via email on 6/22/12 and told us the cabinets were in transit, but one item was on backorder. So, our cabinets been shipped and no one had told us, and part of our shipment was on backorder but we were not informed about this. So we waited for 5 more days, but when we still had received no cabinets on 6/27/12, I began calling and emailing the CTG headquarters and their customer care representatives. At this point, it was 9 days after our items had shipped and 14 days after we had ordered, and we still had no cabinets. Chris, the corporate customer care representative I spoke with, informed me he was very concerned about the lack of customer care we were receiving and would forward my concerns on to the Raleigh office, something I had already done on my own.

Later that same day (6/27/12) Carrie forwarded me an email that she had received on 6/18/12 containing details about tracking our order. (It took 9 days to get our shipping information forwarded to us from CTG, and we had to request this information from them!!) We were directed to contact CGL (the carrier that CTG uses for delivery) directly about our order. CGL must have been informed that I was on a mission to track down the cabinets, because a few minutes after I got the email from Carrie, Katarina from CGL called and left a voicemail requesting that I contact her to schedule delivery of our cabinets. I called, but was told the scheduling team would not be back until 9:00am the next morning. So I called them back at 9:00 on 6/28/12 and asked to schedule our delivery. Katarina told me she could not yet schedule delivery, as our cabinets had not reached the distribution terminal in Fayetteville, NC yet and she could not tell me what day we could expect to get our cabinets. I called CGL three more times over the course of 6/28/12 and spoke to three different CGL representatives, all of whom gave me different answers about when we could expect delivery and whether or not they could even schedule delivery yet. My fourth call to CGL on 6/28/12 ended with the representative telling me that the cabinets would arrive in the distribution terminal in Fayetteville, NC during the night on 6/28/12, and she said she thought we could get delivery on 6/29/12. Exasperated by the back-and-forth of the last two days, I emailed the CTG headquarters a second time and updated them on the mess that we were dealing with. I also called the "customer care" number that Chris had left for me and left a voicemail for him with the same update.

I called CGL at 9:00am on 6/29/12 to check on the arrival of our cabinets at the distribution terminal in Fayetteville, NC. However, I was told that someone at CGL had made an error since my last phone conversation with them the evening before, that our cabinets were put on the wrong truck, and they were currently at the distribution terminal in Atlanta, GA. I insisted that we get our cabinets before the weekend, but CGL said they had no trucks available to bring us our cabinets. I requested that CGL rent a U-haul and drive our cabinets to us, since this was their error and we were way past the delivery timeframes indicated by CTG. They indicated they would not consider this option. I immediately called the Raleigh CTG office and asked someone there to deal with CGL. A CTG representative named Bob told me that he would look into it, but I never got a call back. I called him again later that morning, and he said he had no information for me. I asked him to keep me informed, but I never got another call from anyone in the Raleigh CTG store. I called the CTG corporate offices again and spoke with Chris. He indicated that he was sorry for the inconvenience, but offered nothing in terms of restitution for the incredible hassle that our order had become, and did not even offer to contact CGL on my behalf.

Katarina at CGL called me several times over the course of the day on 6/29/12 and appeared very apologetic and concerned that the delivery of our cabinets had spiraled into a big mess. She indicated that she had called another shipping company called Saia Motor Freight in Charlotte, NC and that they could deliver our cabinets between the hours of 1pm and 3pm on 7/2/12. I indicated that this delivery time was not preferable, as we wanted our cabinets before then, but that it could work if need be. The director/manager at the Boston CGL location was also on the line and asked me to call Saia to confirm this delivery, and then call CGL back to let them know what was said. I did as he requested, but this is CGL's job and should have been arranged by them rather than by me, their customer.

So then, we were looking at a delivery time of 19 days at the very very best, but IF AND ONLY IF our cabinets actually got delivered on 7/2/12. As you can imagine, we were extremely displeased with the absolute mess that our order turned into. As CTG's customer, I shouldn't have even been expected to deal with their distributor, CGL, except to schedule the timely delivery of my order. I am CTG's customer, I just paid them $4,000, yet they put the burden of tracking down my cabinets on me. I am appalled that the Raleigh CTG office washed their hands of this mess, since they are the originators of the order and the people who are ultimately responsible for ensuring that we continue to get quality service DURING OUR ENTIRE Cabinets To Go experience. I am appalled that no one has said to us, "We are sorry. We messed up. We apologize that your order has taken so long to process." I am appalled that CTG headquarters has offered nothing in terms of compensation for time lost or for the hassle we have gone through, taking time out of our work day to do for them what they should be doing for us. And I am even more appalled that Chris, the CTG customer care rep, said, "I'm not sure how we can compensate you for this," during my phone conversation with him on 6/29/12. We can think of several ways, and we shared each of these thoughts with CTG:

1.) Paying for and arranging for special delivery of our cabinets so we get them on Saturday, 6/30/12. The drive from Atlanta, GA to Wilmington, NC is only 7 hours long.

2.) Offering our money back for what we paid in shipping and delivery costs.

3.) Offering a discounted price on our order, since we have been waiting for $4,000 worth of cabinets that have yet to show up.

This order and shipment of cabinets was only half of what we had designed for us by Carrie in the Raleigh store, and only half of what we planned to buy from CTG. We told Carrie up-front that we would have to split our purchase in two to make it fit our budget, and she indicated she would save her designs for us when we were ready to order the remaining cabinets. We had planned to order the other half of our kitchen cabinets from CTG around mid-July (more than $3,000 in additional cabinets on top of the $4,000 we just spent), but at this point, you can safely assume we will NOT be ordering from CTG ever again.

We told CTG, in writing and over the phone, that we were going to forward this account of our nightmare with CTG and CGL to the Wilmington, NC and Raleigh, NC news stations and request that they be aired as part of their respective "Buyer Beware" segments. We also told CTG, in writing and over the phone, that we would be uploading this account to any blog and/or internet forum we could find that is relevant to kitchen remodeling, ordering cabinets, etc. I completed Google searches on 6/29/12 for "Cabinets To Go Experiences" and "Cabinets To Go Reviews" which revealed that there are well over 30 sites, forums, and blogs through which potential customers are specifically asking past customers of CTG to review their personal experiences with the company. We will be posting to as many of these sites as we can, and we will be sure to clarify that, while CTG offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee policy on all purchases, they in no way guarantee their service OR the customer's experience.

And still, it doesn't end. On June 30, 2012 Mark McIntire from the Cabinets To Go corporate headquarters in Rancho Cucamonga, CA called me (someone had forwarded him one of my emails – I'm not even sure what his position is in the company) and asked me why I was "causing such a debacle." I told him we were frustrated with the poor communication between all parties involved in our order, and wanted some acknowledgement from CTG that things had gone wrong. He said that I was "being ridiculous" and that he didn't "want to deal with this" so he was going to cancel my entire order. I told him if he was cancelling my order, then we were refusing to pay for any shipping costs, any restocking fees, and any previously acquired delivery costs, etc. etc. since we had never received anything at all from CTG. He said (or yelled, rather), "Didn't you hear what I just said?! We're giving you your money back!!" Then he hung up on me. I called him back and asked for confirmation that he knew we would be reporting this poor service to the Better Business Bureau, and he said, "Yeah, I got the message," and hung up on me again. I would have liked to assume that that was the end of it, but still it gets worse. A few hours later on 6/30/12, the Raleigh office emailed me a receipt of the cancelled order as promised by Mark McIntire, but only agreed to refund me a portion of what we paid for our cabinets! So, we still have no cabinets, and we have now actually lost money to CTG because they refuse to give our money back!!

Additional information:

Mark McIntire of CTG can be reached at 603.608.7805 or

CTG Founder/Owner Tom Sullivan can be reached at

The CTG Raleigh office can be reached at 919.301.0360 or

The CTG 1-800 number is 800.222.4638, and "Customer Care" is option 4

CTG "Customer Care" voicemail can be left by calling 909.532.8220

Cindy Valentine in the CTG claims department can be reached at

CGL can be reached at 781.996.3011 or

Helpful? 612 Yes 612 1247 No 1247
Had the same issue 207 Yes 207
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Oct 30 #1056042

Sounds like some comments from CTG minions. Shame on you if you think the customer is being unreasonable. I would expect if you say who your are to be pissed too. Use a CC to purchase from CTG. Do a charge back, this affects the company's sanding with the CC company.

Oct 30 #1056038

Yes, it has happens all over he country. I'm afraid to say anything because I have a portion of my cabinets, and some on the wall. I have been waiting a long time to get the rest. I too have called and emailed everyone I could find information on. It's too bad because the cabinet line is a good buy. A good buy means nothing if you can not get your cabinets. You can't blame the local sales people. This practice is from the top. Mr. Sullivan is either out of touch or simply does not care. Sad, what it takes to build a company and how little it takes to ruin it. This is on the decision makers who write the policy.

Oct 25 #1053603

I was considering $16,000 worth of cabinets from them but after reading this- there is no way! Thanks for the heads up. I'm sorry for your trouble.

Oct 04 #1043038

Wow....that is all I can
I used to own a retail store and my customers were the MOST important people who came through the door. Without them, I had no business. Too bad CTG doesn't realize this.
I too was about to order from them. Thank you for saving me and saving my money. As a disabled veteran, I can't afford to have this sort of stupidity going on, financially or otherwise. I have just purchased a wonderful house, but the kitchen needs help and now I will look elsewhere for my cabinets.
Which, brings me to an important question; does anyone know of a place that they WOULD recommend for cabinets...???

Sep 15 #1034020

Well I was about to order cabinets but fell upon this.
I could feel your frustration as I was reading this.
CTG is not a company that I will consider now.
Thank you for posting, most people wouldn't!

Sep 12 #1033176

What a mess. Thank you I was going to do my kitchen with them and now I won't. Pass that on to them

Sep 11 #1032892

Thanks for the review, I was getting ready to call them! WAS!

Sep 02 #1028769

what a nightmare. They have great advertising, and catalog. Sorry for what they put you through, don't know why you waited so long to talk to an attorney, and threaten them with going to your local TV news. That should have been done after the 3rd. nowhere communication with them. I'm a contractor in NY, and installed many a kitchen in my day. I would never bring or send any of my costumers to a place like this. Promise everyone the world and deliver nothing after they take your hard earned money. Also, with so many complaints from around the country, I would Definitely bring this matter to the attorney general office. We don't play in NY. GO YANKEES.

Aug 16 #1020207 Peru, Indiana

Sounds like some of the customers I use to work with at Lowe's. Most customers understand setbacks and adjust their schedules while others believe, like this customer, that life revolves around them. It appears from his letter that he is never flexible and always takes the shortest time frame. I'm also sure that he had the contractor/installer on site on the 10th day after his order. He called and started to complain 8 days after placing his order? then wants free cabinets! I have built several homes and you need to be flexible with both supplies and contractors. Anyone that thinks that they can go through any building or remodel project and expect no unforeseen obstacles arising shouldn't be involved in the project in the first place. Unreasonable requests are not reasonable because the customer thinks they are. A 7 hour drive is actually a 14 hour round trip not including loading/unloading time. Drivers can't drive 14 hours without a layover. I'm sure this perfect customer never made any errors that caused discomfort for his customers/clients. You need to take a chill pill and get over it, life happens be flexible!

4 4 Reply

Sep 15 #1034023

Most people who are remodeling their kitchens rely on the "experts" to be honest and upfront especially about potential delays. it sounds like this customer was just trying to find his shipment that was not there in the time frame that the "expert" cabinet people told them. It happens way to often that as soon as you hand over the money the level of professionalism lowers tremendously! We are not "perfect customers" but when we turn to professionals for guidance, quality, honesty, understanding and respect and none of that is given the above frustration begins.
Bottom line, anyone of the people he spoke with would have gotten just as frustrated if the roles were reversed!!

Aug 11 #1018148

Saw on TV here tonight folks got there money back after it brought to the attention by the TV reporter
$7,400 was refunded after the TV reporter get after CTG

Jul 29 #1013539

My experience with CTG in Raleigh has been wonderful. I brought my vanity it's beautiful and the kitchen cabinets are chocolate absolutely beautiful and the customer service was exceptional and I would buy from them again.

1 2 Reply

May 06 #980696

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. We're remodeling our kitchen saw a beautiful cabinetry from their site and was going to order it. I almost didn't blog the customer reviews, but am glad I did. I am so sorry about your experience. In fact, there are negative 3 reviews from BBB of this year on this company!
I'll be looking around for another cabinetry company.

Another Pissed Off Consumer

Apr 14 #971705 Methuen, Massachusetts

I did not see this before I made the horrible decision of purchasing cabinets from these people. I am dealing with the same issue through the NH store. My items too are on back order and will be contacting the better business bureau regarding this. They supposedly fired their old CEO Jeff and got a new one. However, this mess and their professionalism may be too gone to repair. Not to mention the illegal activity that goes on .

5 0 Reply

Apr 06 #968395 Los Angeles, California

Thank you so much for your detailed information. I can only imagine how frustrating this was for you. I thank you for trying to make a statement and demand good business behavior. i will not consider cabinets to go for my upcoming kitchen remodel.

Apr 02 #967051 Boston, Massachusetts

Thank you for your review.
Paid theb $99 never even re eived a,quote.
Want mt $99 back.

Mar 19 #960903 Bailey, Colorado

Thank you for your review! We were considering going with CTG for our kitchen cabinets, since the last time I bought cabinets for a kitchen it turned into a nightmare. I bought those from Home Depot in TN near Gallatin and had nothing but trouble, at least they offered some of our money back and ended up bringing the items that were back ordered out to the house at no cost.

Mar 04 #953972 Lincolnshire, Illinois

I've been looking for replacements for 20 year old cabinets and though CTG offered a cost effective solution for us to make a change. I am glad I read this review and will not be ordering from them.

Feb 02 #940209 Paris, Ile-De-France

wow, sorry for your hassles,i definitely wont be ordering from CTG. To waste all that money on ads and get this much bad publicity for poor service seems to not be a good business model.

1-20 of 224 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.